A winter wedding at Maunsel House, Somerset: Hannah-Marie & Matt's December celebration



Maunsel House in Somerset is one of my absolute favourite wedding venues, with the quirkiest, most fabulous interior, and utterly beautiful grounds.  Having photographed Lisa and Nick's wedding there last July, I was really excited about capturing Hannah-Marie and Matt's celebrations just before Christmas.  It's always lovely to visit a venue at an alternative point in the year, as everything looks and feels so different.  I loved seeing the frosty morning at Maunsel House, and the gorgeous Christmas lights decorating the table.  It was amazing to have great big roaring fires for the guests to warm up by, giving such a cosy feel to the evening.  And as for the winter light... oh, how I love it!  When you get a dry day in winter, it can be absolutely amazing for photography.  On this day we were so lucky, and the light was utterly beautiful all day, with a soft, winter glow making everything look so gorgeous.

Hannah-Marie and Matt met each other through the Pantomime Society at Bristol University, and the wedding theme was inspired by the Italian Commedia dell'Arte (masquerade), with Venetian masks on the tables and a distinctive gold, black and ivory colour scheme.  The ceremony was in the incredible St Michael's Church, in Maunsel House's estate, a tiny little Saxon Chapel.  As it was so close to Christmas, the guests sang carols in the church rather than hymns.  I almost felt like I was in an old Christmas movie, with everyone belting out God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and frost on the ground outside!  I absolutely loved it, and it felt so seasonal and special.  The guests then strolled back across the grounds to the main house, and enjoyed mince pies and mulled wine by the roaring fires.

I loved the quirky style of the day, with Hannah's amazing 1950s vintage wedding dress looking completely perfect for the setting.  It was a relatively intimate wedding, with around 35 guests, which meant that everyone could be seated around one long table.  After a long and enjoyable dinner provided by the fantastic Posh Nosh, all the guests relaxed in the various spaces around Maunsel House: chilling out in the library, playing traditional board games in the ballroom or posing with vintage guns in the bar... as you do!   It was a stylish and personal wedding, where it felt like Hannah and Matt had totally put their own stamp on the day, and I'm really delighted to share it with you here on my blog.  It might take a little while to load, but I promise it's worth the wait, just a gorgeous, gorgeous wedding!  Enjoy...





Hannah's dress: vintage, from A Vintage Affair, Cardiff
Hannah's shoes: Rachel Simpson
Matt's suit: The Kooples
Food: Posh Nosh


You might also be interested to have a look at:






Thanks very much for visiting my blog, I hope that you enjoyed looking at these images as much as I enjoyed photographing them!  Please do pop over to Facebook and 'like' my page to show your support, I really appreciate it!  Thank you x